Tuesday 12 June 2012

A Little Conversation...


“Hey my name’s kamal, I am a little lonely
Would you take out some time, sit with me?
And would you like to listen to my little story,
However, I must warn, it isn’t the most pleasant thing!

So I was born at about 7 pounds, healthy and kicking.
My mother used to tell that my smile was the sweetest.
So I grew up happy, laughing, playing
But then fate took my little test!

I was playing football, with my friends in my compound!
Just then someone kicked it hard, the ball rolled out
I ran out on the street, in my playful innocence,
The bus speeding towards me, I didn’t sense.

I lost my legs sir, lost them forever.
I couldn’t play like before, never!
Yes my extra care, the other kids did take,
But it’s the look of sympathy in their eyes, I couldn’t shake!



I know no one will become my best friend.
And girlfriends are out of the question, aren’t they?
I can’t even mix in with “normal” people without getting stares,
I am with the other people, still so far away!

But then something happened, which made even me feel lucky
I saw the other “handicapped”, the people like me.
Some don’t have hands, some can’t see,
But they don’t have money too, and parents like me

Though I did realize I was not alone,
I am not the only “different” one
Amidst the stares and the disgusts,
My sorrow is shared, and so is my fun

Anyways, I’ll take a leave now sir, I got to go,
I gotta work hard sir, become successful
Although I know that no one ever thought so!
I guess, I’ll just have to prove them wrong!”

So that was it, I then saw him wheeling down the alley
I marvelled at his pride, his determination, his simplicity
And then, without a warning, or my knowing
A tear dropped from my eye, and fell in front of me.

3 comments: